Adults can get a speech impairment caused by a disease. Most of the time this happens by damages of the brain or of the nerves, e.g. generated by a stroke or chronically illnesses like the Parkinson´s disease. In many cases an impaired ability to swallow occures simultaneously.
Another reason for speech impairments are stresses of the voice that happen often if a person has got a profession that includes a lot of talking. In such cases, the voice sounds hoarse, is less reliable or the person is even not able to talk any more at all.
Stutter occurs in 1% of the adult population. A serious impairment in communications behavior can appear due to Stutter.
Besides these areas, there are several more that indicate a speech therapy. The following adult domains are treated by us:
- Partly or complete loss of the speech (aphasia)
- Neurological caused impairments in pronunciation (dysarthria, verbal apraxia)
- Impaired ability to swallow (dysphagia)
- Facial paralysis (facioplegia)
- Speech impairments due to a disability
- Speech impairments due to autism
Usually the therapies take place at our office but in some cases it is also possible to offer house calls.